Young's Physical Therapy & Acupuncture
Physical Therapy & Acupuncture located in Midtown West, New York, NY
Back pain is one of the most common reasons adults miss work, and the leading cause of disability in the world. Youngsoo Oh, PT, of Youngs Physical Therapy & Acupuncture, specializes in treating back and neck pain through physical therapy and acupuncture to help patients in the Midtown Manhattan area of New York City get relief from agonizing symptoms. If you want to get to the underlying cause of your back and neck pain, Mr. Oh has the expertise to help you get relief from symptoms as naturally and holistically as possible. Call or schedule a consultation online today.
Back & Neck Pain Q & A
What Causes Back and Neck Pain?
Overuse, heavy lifting, twisting, and repetitive movements can cause painful back and neck pain symptoms. Occasionally, men and women experience temporary back and neck pain as the result of an accident, a pulled muscle, or overexertion. These types of back and neck injuries typically go away within a few weeks as your body heals.
If you experience back and neck pain on a daily basis, or pain that doesn’t improve or get better over time, your symptoms may be the result of a more serious underlying health issue. Mr. Oh is an expert at diagnosing the underlying cause of your chronic pain. Some common causes of chronic back and neck pain are:
- Bone and joint diseases like arthritis and osteoarthritis
- Herniated discs in your lumbar (lower) or cervical (upper) spine
- Compression fractures from an injury
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of your spinal canal)
- Isthmic spondylolisthesis (small, fractured bones in your spine)
Can Neck or Back Pain Be Treated Without Medications or Surgery?
In most cases, back and neck pain can be successfully treated without medications or invasive surgeries. After Mr. Oh evaluates your symptoms to determine what’s causing your back or neck pain, and often if your condition is the result of an injury or accident, Mr. Oh may prescribe a treatment plan that includes any of the following:
- Ice and/or heat therapies
- Avoiding strenuous activities, resting
- Strengthening or stretching exercises
- Physical therapy
- Massage therapy
Each person is different, so there isn’t a one-size-fits-all treatment plan. Mr. Oh has the skills and expertise to advise you regarding the most effective combinations of therapies for your specific condition.
Is It Possible to Prevent Back and Neck Pain?
Some common ways to prevent future occurrences of back and neck pain include:
- Avoiding overuse of lower back muscles
- Stretching before exercising
- Maintaining a healthy weight and active lifestyle
- Sleeping on a medium to firm mattress with a pillow that properly supports your neck
- Creating an ergonomically supportive workspace to minimize strain
- Wearing supportive shoes
You don’t have to accept pain as something you deal with day in and day out. Call or schedule an appointment using the online system to learn more about natural therapies to relieve back and neck pain.